Today, Mayor Ethan Berkowitz announced that People Mover bus service will be restored on Monday, June 1, 2020. Customer Service, located at the Downtown Transit Center, will reopen on Wednesday, May 27, 2020.
The Essential Service Transportation program that is currently in place will end on Sunday, May 31, 2020. AnchorRIDES paratransit service will continue to operate. Trips will no longer be limited to “essential locations” and fares will be reinstated on June 1, 2020.
People Mover bus service will include additional safety measures to help prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Bus capacity will be limited to 9 riders on 40-foot buses and 4 riders on 22-foot buses.
- Buses will soon be equipped with plexiglass partitions between the bus operator and the farebox to help protect riders and bus operators.
- Cloth face coverings are recommended for all riders.
- Exiting through the rear door is encouraged.
- The lobby at the Downtown Transit Center will not be open as a passenger waiting area and capacity limits will be in place for those visiting the Customer Service windows.
- Bus operators will be screened at the beginning and end of each shift and will wear protective equipment such as masks and gloves.
- Every night, cleaning crews will thoroughly spray the interior of every bus with disinfectant, floors will be cleaned with a bleach solution, and a bleach solution will be used to wipe down touchable surfaces such as handrails, pull cords, fareboxes, seat backs, dash boards, and driver areas.
These changes will remain in effect until further notice. For more information, visit muni.org/COVIDTransitInfo.
Riders can sign up for People Mover Nixle alerts by texting “PEOPLEMOVER” to 888-777.