At 4:42 PM on Wednesday, April 2, 2020, an off-duty APD traffic officer was in the Eagle River Walmart parking lot when he saw a 1996 blue Ford Ranger pickup speed around a corner in the lot and then drive recklessly straight towards him. The officer yelled at the driver, later identified as 23-year-old William C. Carr III, to slow down. While the officer was giving the command he identified himself as a police officer and displayed his police badge. Carr stopped the Ford, got out, and engaged the officer verbally stating the officer did not have the authority to enforce laws when he was not on duty. During the conversation Carr reached into his pocket and pulled out a black handgun; this action put the officer in fear of serious personal injury. As the officer reached for his own weapon, Carr put the handgun back in his pocket, got into the Ford, and quickly drove away. Almost immediately afterwards Carr struck a bright ye llow parking lot sign, which had a concrete base, head-on. The Ford suffered significant front-end damage; the airbag deployed and the truck’s front license plate fell off. Carr put the Ford in reverse and then sped off leaving the plate behind.

Several officers responded to the area in an attempt to locate the Ford Ranger. At 5:15 PM one of them spotted a tan truck towing a Ford Ranger with front-end damage. Once the officer was able to get behind the vehicles, he confirmed the rear license plate on the Ford matched the plate left behind at Walmart. The officer conducted a traffic stop at S Birchwood Loop and Birchtree Street and ordered both Carr (who was in the driver’s seat of the Ford) and the driver of the tan truck to put their hands out of their respective windows. While both complied, Carr was very verbally confrontational with the officer while waiting for backup units to arrive. During that entire time, Carr never mentioned he was armed. He only did so once officers were in the process of handcuffing him which occurred several minutes after the traffic stop began.

After the handcuffs were placed Carr began to physically struggle. Officers were able to control Carr’s movements while they conducted the pat search. Afterwards Carr was remanded at the Anchorage Jail on the charges of Assault III, Misconduct Involving a Weapon V, Leave the Scene of an Accident, and Resisting.

The driver of the tan truck was not charged. It appears that driver agreed to tow Carr’s vehicle to Carr’s residence after seeing the Ford broken down on the side of the road.

There were no injuries and no shots were fired. The gun seized from Carr’s person was fully loaded and had a live bullet in the chamber.

Load comments