At 9:27 PM on June 26, 2019 a citizen called Police Dispatch to report a male sleeping in the driver’s seat of a vehicle in a parking lot on the 1000-block of E 76thAvenue.  Officers arrived and saw a man, later identified as 29-year-old Suddcliff E. Sechlee, sleeping in a silver 2005 Land Rover SUV.  The keys were in the ignition and there was an empty vodka container sitting in the center console in plain view. 

Officers woke up Sechlee and asked him to step out of the vehicle.  Sechlee showed signs of impairment and officers could smell a strong odor of alcohol. Sechlee asked if he was being detained.  When he was told that he was, Sechlee began to walk away.  Officers went hands on and told Sechlee he could not leave.  Sechlee then began to tense up and become uncooperative with the handcuffing process.  After the cuffs were in place, Sechlee told one of the officers he should head-butt the officer.  Sechlee then thrusted his head in a backwards motion in an attempt to make contact with the officer’s head; Sechlee missed. After the attempt Sechlee was taken to the ground as he would not stop physically resisting.


After refusing to participate in SFSTs (standardized field sobriety tests), Sechlee was transported to the Anchorage Jail for further processing.  Officers called the Magistrate over the phone for the bail hearing after Sechlee refused to provide a breath sample.  While they were on the phone, Sechlee grabbed the officer’s tape recorder that was sitting on the table.  Sechlee refused to release the recorder and tried to pull away.  After taking Sechlee to the ground, Sechlee tried unsuccessfully to kick one of the officers.  Sechlee was then placed in full restraints.


The officers applied for, and was granted, a search warrant for Sechlee’s blood.  Officers tried to take Sechlee out of full restraints but were unable to do so due to Sechlee resisting.  Approximately five minutes later officers were able to take the restraints off but they left the handcuffs on.  One of the officers left the room to retrieve the copy of the warrant.  When he walked back in, Sechlee spit at him.  A spit hood was then placed onto Sechlee’s head.


Due to Sechlee’s ongoing combative behavior, the on-scene officers asked for more units for the blood draw process.  The officers were forced to take Sechlee to the ground and put him back in full restraints in order for the phlebotomist to successfully and safely draw his blood.


Sechlee was remanded at the Anchorage Jail on six outstanding warrants.  He was further charged with Felony Operating under the Influence (3 or more OUIs in ten years), Refusal, two counts of Disorderly Conduct, two counts of Resisting, Harassment, and six counts of Violating Conditions of Release.


Load comments